If you love to spend hours on end in your garden but are still seeing it as nothing more than a hobby, you could be wrong. There are plenty of green-thumbed entrepreneurs out there achieving real financial success through their passion for all things gardening. These people have taken a hobby and turned it into a career. If you’re feeling stuck in a professional rut and are interested in pursuing a new way to make money without sacrificing your personal interests, we have plenty of great ideas to help get you started.
- Invest in a franchise business. There are businesses out there offering franchise opportunities for people with exactly the kind of passion you have for gardening. Check out businesses like James Home Services, where you can invest in a lawn care franchise, build your own business in your local area, and grow into a successful, well-respected franchisee. This kind of opportunity gives you the chance to flex your managerial skills while dealing with landscaping, lawn care and gardening on a daily basis. You could also make a substantial income from the business.
- Start blogging. If you have a flare for writing and just a bit of tech-savvy, consider jumping on board the blogging bandwagon. There’s a whole world of fellow gardening enthusiasts out there who’d be thrilled to read your gardening tips, see photos of your flowers and plants, and get some insight into your daily life. By building a following and allowing advertising on your blog, you could earn a living while writing about what you know best. Guest blogs on other writers’ websites will also give you the chance to share your knowledge without having to build your own website, and will usually offer some payment in return for your services.
- Sell your garden design skills. Just as people hire professionals to design the interiors of their homes, there are also people out there who will hire you to make their garden look beautiful. If you have a real knack for landscaping and design, why not share your talent? You can create a website, do some marketing and start your own landscaping business.
- Sell your produce. If you’re lucky enough to have a flourishing vegetable patch or fruit trees in your garden, you can easily make some extra money for the household by selling the extra produce that isn’t needed by your family. There’s always a market for fresh produce, so start a delivery service or set up a market stall and get selling! You can also sell plants, flowers or anything else that springs up in your garden.
- Make and sell compost. Compost is something all good gardeners need, so making your own compost heap that can extend beyond your own garden could be a golden business opportunity. It may not be the prettiest entrepreneurial enterprise, but it could certainly be lucrative.
- Offer classes to would-be gardeners. So many people like the idea of gardening and growing their own vegetables and flowers at home, but have no idea how to get started. Holding small classes in your own garden is a wonderful way to spread the joy of gardening while earning some extra income. This is a particularly good idea for gardeners who have experience teaching, or just love to help others.